6IXTHinWWII

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

6IXTHinWWII
6IXTHinWWII
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pz III Ausf L, 16PzDv, Ukraine, 8/1/1942

+2
dti62
egonzinc
6 posters

Go down

Pz III Ausf L, 16PzDv, Ukraine, 8/1/1942 Empty Pz III Ausf L, 16PzDv, Ukraine, 8/1/1942

Post by egonzinc Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:04 am

Panzer III Ausf L (Sd Kfz 141/1)
Tank # 232
2nd Co, 2. Panzer Regiment
16th Panzer Division, III Panzerkorps
1.Panzerarmee, Heersgruppe A
Artemivsk, Ukraine. 360 miles from Stalingrad
August 1, 1942

--FIRST IMAGES--

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here is my latest vehicle, a Mardon Callanta PzIII Ausf L representing a recently delivered vehicle to the 16th Panzer Division’s 2. Panzer Regiment in late summer of 1942.

The vehicle came in ordnance yellow from Mardon, many years ago. I had ordered it in Panzer gray, but it came in yellow by mistake. But I always intended to build it as a late summer of ’42 vehicle. In that time frame my many Panzer gray vehicles made for 1940 and 1941, would be able to “support” this time window a little later in the war. I usually make my vehicles generic, to represent more than one unit, but towards the end, I decided to add the 16th Panzer Division insignia to the tank. Reading up on the 16th Panzer Division, it provided a nice time and place scenario for an Ausf L Panzer III. The 16th Panzer Division ended up in the deathole that was Stalingrad later, but in August it was still racing across Ukraine, eventually getting to the northern area of Stalingrad. Found some references of the 16PzDiv being in a place called Artemivsk (also Artemorsk, 55 miles from Donetsk and 360 miles west from Stalingrad) in early August. Looking at images of the area of Artemivsk, I found the vegetation to be similar to my backyard (plenty of green, deciduous trees, no barren steppes) so the time line was set. For these images I used some old tanker figures, but the tank will eventually get its own crew down the line.

Here some images with the temporary commander

The tank has all its engine grills, tools, tow cables, jack and jack block, upgraded with pieces from 1/6 Scale Icons. Front and rear Notek are the metal pieces by Armorpax as are the jack brackets. Also from Armorpax is the resin fire extinguisher with Michigan Dawgs decals.
As usual I painted the tank in a bottoms up approach, first adding texture to the undersides and lower areas. Painted the running gear and tracks, then flipped the vehicle, covered the lower areas, and continued painting and detailing the top areas of the model. For the national insignia, numbers and divisional insignia, I used home made stencils. Weathered as usual and added a lot of what I call “micro washes” to bring out the details of all the elements of the vehicle.

Finally some close ups.

egonzinc

Back to top Go down

Pz III Ausf L, 16PzDv, Ukraine, 8/1/1942 Empty Re: Pz III Ausf L, 16PzDv, Ukraine, 8/1/1942

Post by dti62 Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:22 am

Eduardo,

That's truly outstanding....!!
Always glad to see your collection of weathered and detailed vehicles, and as always great history lesson on what you create. Fantastic job.... cheers Bravo
Can't wait to see the crew that you gather for this....
dti62
dti62

http://kdirving62@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Pz III Ausf L, 16PzDv, Ukraine, 8/1/1942 Empty Re: Pz III Ausf L, 16PzDv, Ukraine, 8/1/1942

Post by T.H.A.W. Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:15 pm

I must echo Ken on this....
I would have never thought a Mardon could ever look this beautiful!
Thanks for posting, and as always, you are a true inspiration to all of us with your exquisite works of 1:6 art!
T.H.A.W.
T.H.A.W.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MASSwwii?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by mutt71 Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:30 pm

This is one of my favorite German Tanks. I use your methods of painting my vehicles, as I fin that the results are much better than what I used to do. I would love to be able to buy one of these at some point. Thanks for sharing this here with us.
mutt71
mutt71

Back to top Go down

Post by Halftrack1 Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:49 pm

DITTO; Fantastic work Eduardo, hope to see her with the rest of the division soon.
Halftrack1
Halftrack1

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammer's Africaners Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:44 pm

She's a beauty, another great addition to your motor pool

Hammer's Africaners

Back to top Go down

Post by egonzinc Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:59 pm

Here the full crew for this PzIII Ausf L:
Somewhat unusual for me, they all have DID HS, instead of DML HS. They are typical of summer tank crews in the Eastern Front. All the uniform parts are from DML, except for the shoulder boards that are from Dave Tedesco (Patches of Pride).

Left to right: Private MG/radio operator, Private loader, Unterfeldwebel commander, Unteroffizier gunner and Obergefreiter driver.

egonzinc

Back to top Go down

Post by Halftrack1 Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:35 am

That looks like a perfect crew Eduardo.
Halftrack1
Halftrack1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down